Monday, August 4, 2008

5 Years Ago Today...

...on a very hot afternoon...in the western/central part of China... Emma joined our family. It was 105 degrees with 95% humidity. Today's temperatures in northern Texas will make reminiscing easy.



This picture was taken just after Emma was handed to me at the orphanage. She reached up and ran her little hand down my cheek and stared at me as if to say "Hi Mama, where have you been all my life?" It was the sweetest moment and one that I will never forget.






Emma was sick with pneumonia when we got her. Thankfully, we had taken antibiotics with us and within a few days she was much better. This picture was taken just after our tour of the orphanage.




Jeremy was such a huge help to me on the trip. He and Emma took to each other right away and they still have an amazing relationship.








This was at the airport as we arrived back home two weeks later.








Daddy and Emma finally meet face to face.








Emma in 2004.














2005




















2006




















2007















2008
just prior to donating her hair to Locks of Love - do any of you remember Cousin It?










Our beautiful girl today!

Emma is very different from her shy little sister. She has never met a stranger in her life and loves to share her sunshine with others. She does everything with a level of intensity that rivals a nuclear reactor. She is one tough cookie. Our life with her has truly been an adventure and we look forward to the future with great expectation for what the Lord is going to do in and through her. Today we officially celebrate her "Gotcha" Day. I hope she knows how truly special she is to us.


Happy "Gotcha" Day Emma! We love you so much!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure brought tears to my eyes as I read about your 5 years with Emma. Still remember when you called to tell me I would finally be getting my granddaugher. Wish Gib could have showered his love on them. How he would have loved to cuddle Kara and Emma.

Love, Jan

Shannon said...

Happy Gotcha Day, Emma!!

Anonymous said...

Emma is also so precious to her Papa and me and we love her so much.
She touched our hearts the minute
we laided eyes on her.
Happy gotcha day! Grandma and Papa

Heather said...

Wow! It seems like yesterday! We are so thrilled that God placed her in your family!!

Love, Heather

Elissa said...

WOW, I cannot believe it's been five years already!
HAPPY GOTCHA DAY EMMA!!!

~Elissa