Thursday, August 7, 2008

Grace

I had a hard time telling my little ones goodnight tonight. I had just watched the Chapman family on Larry King Live. My heart is so grieved over their loss of little Maria. I cannot imagine how they must feel and how they are dealing with it all. The scripture that keeps coming to mind over and over again is Hebrews 4:16.
Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
God gives a special mercy and grace to people when they need it. It is obvious that the Chapman family is being flooded with God's grace right now. Their grace is not mine to have because I don't need it at this time. Maybe that's why I have such a difficult time understanding how they can get up in the morning let alone open themselves up with such transparency to the whole world.

Steven Curtis Chapman's song "Miracle of the Moment" is a good reminder to live each moment to the fullest. Each breath we take here on earth is a gift and we never know when it might be the last. I want to do it right. I want to focus on the miracle of each moment I have here and make the most of it for God's glory.

For the Chapmans, I know that their prayer for this interview was that God would use it to draw others to Himself. That people would see and understand that the greatest hope we have in this life is to spend all eternity with the loving Father that created us.

I pray that God will allow the Chapmans to see the fruit that He will bring about as a result of their willingness to be honest and open in the midst of such tremendous grief. I pray that God will continue to sustain them with His great grace and bring healing and peace to them once again. They are forever changed but they cling to the One who never changes and who has promised to reunite them with Maria someday. He, Jesus Christ, is the One they hope in and He is the One I hope in. Without that hope, we have nothing.