Tuesday, September 2, 2008

School Day Funnies

The girls and I had a fun day in school today.

At the end of each day, I read a book to Kara entitled Abadaba Alphabet by Sheila Moore. The book is a super fun way to teach the phonetic sounds of the letters if it doesn't drive mom crazy first.

Kara has caught on to most of the sounds and really has learned a lot by just sitting in on school with Emma and I and from listening to me read this book countless times (we've been reading it since May).

Today, as we read the book, Kara was eager to say most of the sounds on her own. She did quite well and I had a fleeting thought that maybe she was ready to start putting those sounds together into very small words.

I turned back in the book to the "d" page and found the word dog. I asked her what sound each letter made individually. With a little help, she got all three. So I said "Kara, If you put those three sounds together, what does "duh... ahh... guh say? She looked at me so enthusiastically like a light bulb had just gone on. She smiled hugely as she said "volcano?".

Okay, okay...so maybe my three year old isn't quite ready to read yet but I think she's brilliant anyway.

Along those same lines, I saw the following quote on our local home school support group's yahoo group and thought that it really summed up what our home schooling adventure is like these days.
"I compare what we do to a hike with puppies rather than a march with an army. We don't march steadily on with prescribed stops. We stroll along, sometimes running ahead, sometimes running behind, then stopping to chase a lizard, smell the flowers - or eat them!"
I'm not sure who the author is but it definitely describes school with Emma and Kara...and I'm happy to say that I'm loving every minute of it - still!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Tracy, this just makes me smile! You have such precious girls. It's fun for me to read about Kara because there is so much to her little personality that I haven't gotten to see first-hand! Loved the quote too...even though I'm not homeschooling, I relate a lot. :)

Anonymous said...

Don't you have to wonder where "volcano" came from? So funny. Bet it is nice to only be teaching 4 now. Tyler is probably pretty much on his own. Right??

Love, Jan

Anonymous said...

That yaba daba doo guy gets pretty annoying though. ;) There's just something about his voice I don't like. They probably hired someone in a state prison for cheap labor's sake.