Thursday, January 1, 2009

Austin's 14th Birthday - December 14, 2008

Wow, 14 years old...I can hardly believe it. I distinctly remember the day that he was born. Keith's squadron was deploying to Saudi Arabia before Austin's due date so he was encouraged to come a little early...2 weeks to be exact.

I had a doctor's appointment on the morning of the day he was born. My midwife told me that he was about 6 1/2 lbs. I laughed and told her there was no way. I told her that all of my other boys were bigger than that and I felt bigger with Austin than with any of them. She shrugged her shoulders with a "you'll see" look on her face.

He was born at 9:54 that night and weighed in at 8 lbs. 11 1/2 oz. Yeah, this mom knows a few things about baby boys. Can you imagine how big he would have been if he had come on time or even late? Yikes!

Here is a picture of him at 9 months.

We should have known when Austin was a baby that we were in for a wild ride with him. When he was 13 months old he pulled my curling iron off the counter and wrapped both hands around the barrel holding it and crying until I got to him. It resulted in 2nd and 3rd degree burns to both hands but never slowed him down a bit. Here he is with his bandages which we changed twice a day for weeks.

It was a grueling experience for his parents but God was merciful and healed him beautifully.

Austin was the first of all four of our boys to have staples in his head...thanks to a fall on the trampoline. He was also the first of our boys to ever break a bone...which he has now done three times in the last year and 2 months. We have decided that football is not his sport if he wants to keep his bones intact. This picture was taken when he broke his arm the first time in October of 2007.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we are thankful Austin has survived to see his 14th birthday. He is active, athletic, full of energy, and all boy and he always has been. We wouldn't have it any other way.

Here is Austin on his big day.

Austin, we hope your birthday was as special as you are. And we pray that God will see you through to celebrate many more wonderful birthdays in the future. We love you, Son.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

The pictures show that he has gone from a boy to a young man in a little over a year!! Austin is so sweet and eager to help! Happy late birthday, Austin!

Keith Pond said...

That's my boy. Rrr-rrr-rrr!